Basically, it can be discovered that there are heaps of files, available space in the office of the Head of Computer Science Department, slowing down his or her work, making the place untidy and even frightening him from tasks to be accomplished, but it should not be so in this era or period of paperless office brought in the use of computer system. Firstly, I have taken the share of untidiness by developing designing and application packaging that would aid him is allocation of course to the different programs that are offered at the department. Consequently, my project is restricted 40 course allocation their time table where research show that some course are allocated on the first semester and second semester respectively depending on the program whether morning or evening. The electronic document management system (EDMS) is ideal for voluminous data such as those found on the office of the Head of Department computer Science, Abia State Polytechnic, Aba, that is where this research work is embarked on as the case study.
Table Of Contents
Table of Contents
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
1.1 Statement of the Problem
1.2 Objective of the study
1.3 Significance of the study
14 Scope and limitation OF The study
1.5 Background of the Course study
1.6 Definition of Terms
CHAPTER TWO: LITERATURE REVIEW
2.0 Literature Review
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY, SYSTEM INVESTIGATION AN ANALYSIS
3.0 Research Methodology
3.2 Observation Method
3.3 examinations of Report
3.4 System analysis
3.4 Method of data Analysis
3.07 Analysis of Findings
CHAPTER FOUR: SYSTEM DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION
4.0 System Design
4.01 Output Design
4.02 Input Design
4.03 File Design
4.0 4 data Design
4.1 Proposal of the new System
4.2 Objective of the New System
4.2.1 Security of data
4.3.2 Accurate Information
4.2.2 Speedy operation on the Information File
4.2.3 High productivity Improved service
4.2.4 Economic use of resource
4.3 Hardware Requirements
4.4 Programming Flowchart
4.5 Software Requirements
4.6 Procedure for successful installation on allocation (automated)
4.6.1 File conversion
4.6.2 change-over procedure
4.6.4 System Evaluation
CHAPTER FIVE: SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
Over the years allocation of course their credit units and departmental timetable have been growing from one stage to another and similarly, the procedures and routine embarked on every semester coupled with the departmental growth compounded the problem of manual allocation of course their units and thereby delays the registration procedures because some students paying extra fee as payment that is demanded in addition to the usual charge for registering their course late, as late payment but computerization or automation of course their credit units allocation and departmental time provide the most effective reliable and quickest services required by the students. Basically, before the invention of computers, computation were done manually and in the case of the departmental course, their credit units and departmental timetable, it has caused accelerated progress especially the automation of department course their credit units and departmental time table. Computer technology has been accepted as an indispensable innovation in most fields of human endeavour in which departmental courses is not an exception.
Hence, the efficiency of an organization or establishment would be achieved if they embark on compute r-based system. However, using the computer based system in place of the manual system, a charge that is going on in Abia State Polytechnic course registration procedure. It will make the practical insinuation of high technology. This will enframe the time needed for processing of departmental course and attend to other subsequent information needed by the management system. The important of this researcher is so prominent with the current of processing the departmental course and suggest a complete efficient and reliable approach that will be of immense benefit to most higher institutions in general especially to the state polytechnic Aba.
Actually, this would go a long way to improve their service by exposing and creating awareness of computer applications.
1.1 Statement Of The Problem
Since established in 1992, Abia State Polytechnic comprises of four schools among which is the school of science and Industrial Technology (SSIT which house the department of Computer Science and Statistics Department), the other schools have problems, One of which was late allocation of coursd and credit units to enable the students finish their registration process and have foresight of what the semester would look like. It was studied and discovered that automation of departmental course and the manual system of allocation course, their credit unit usually waste a lot of time and papa even pen can be reduced on the process of arranging it and also improve upon removing such problems. Below are some of the problems in this system.
- It delays students registration process.
- It results to high cost of data processing each semester.
- it wastes much paper and make filling of form cumbersome
- It delays other departmental duties that are also important
- It results to inefficiency of course allocation.
Because of these set backs computer department i.e the case study has continued to leave activities untended to by the head of department because of volume of work left for him to do alone.
- Objective of The Study
This project work has many aims and objectives to achieve, these aims are geared towards carrying investigations in the old course allocation method (manual) making us of computer department of Abia State Polytechnic, Aba as a cases study and giving a suggestions on how wtro improve staff under the department to the numerous students of the department.
Meanwhile, this wate-up would also among or include all
- Designing a system that will be more interactive to students and lecturers.,
- Provide an automatic system that will reduce the work load of staff especially the HODs
- The research will also serve as a soure of information to students, lecturers and computer science researchers who would want to engage in such topic “The Automation of Departmental course their credit Unit Allocation and departmental time table.
- Provide quicker and more efficient services (course allocation) using automated system (computer).
1.3 Significance Of The Study
Definitely, the complete implementation of this work will be introduced as a trend in the present method of allocating course their credit units and departmental time table, the change would in-doubt make the management and students happier, such changes envisage will include the following:
- The high cost incurred by the management in buying of papers, ,pens, pencils, makers, measuring ruler etc , the clerical duties involves in course allocation and department time table will be reduced drastically because the hard disk, floppies, tape would be used instead of the above mentioned.
- The time involved in allocating and re-allocating which normally results to delay will be reduced.
- Students would then utilize their time efficiently during the registration of course.
- Automated System would also serve as a reference file for the students and staff since the course, credit units time table and lectures in charge of all therefore then.
- The researcher work is also significant because it is based on the award of Diploma in Computer Science to the researcher however, its significant can only be envisaged better when it is implemented, evaluate, and maintained to be running in the computer, such as in computer Science Department, from where other departments can
1.4 Scope And Limitation Of The Study
This study is aimed at finding out how the use of automated system can help in course allocation in the computer science department of Abia state polytechnic, Aba.
The study covered only the department of computer science due to some limitations of the researcher to extend the research to other departments within the school of science and Industrial Technology (SSIT), let alone other school in the Institution, the constraints are as follows:
- Finance: Fund or running around for the data required was in short supply and consequently hindered further research.
- Time Constraints: Due to the required completion , time of this research work, it was not possible to extend the research to other departments.
- Complexity: Meanwhile extending the research to all department within institution would lead to completion and complication resulting to un liability of research.
- Cost: Feasibility cost conducting the research in all schools departments provide that it is not feasible for a single students (the researcher) to bear students can continue work on this research in future until
- Background of The Course study
Abia state Polytechnic was established by ediet number of 8 of 1994 which has a retrospect effect from 2nd October 1992. its location is the former premises of Girls technical College (GTC) Aba, along Aba Owerri Road Umungasi, Aba, Abia State. The National Diploma Progammes commenced in 1994/1995 academic year while Higher national Diploma commence in 1999/2000 Academic year.
It’s administration made it possible for it to comprise of four schools, they are as follows:
- School of General studies and continuing Education (SBMT)
- School of Engineering Technology (SET)
- School of science and Industrial Technology (SSIT)
The schools are made up of Departments, which offers various National diploma (ND), Higher National diploma (HND) and diploma programmes respectively. The case study department of computer Science, a sub of schools of science and Industrial Technology offers various course leading to National Diploma programme to its students. Hence, the case study is chosen so that any successful achievement records on this work (research) can easily be transferred to their departments within the institutions, the staff of the department comprise of the following.
- Direct of school (DOS)
- Head of Department (HOD)
- Chief Technologist
- Assistant technologist
- Laboratory Attendants
- Office Assistance (Messengers)
1.6 Definition Of Terms
In this chapter being the first chapter of this project work certain terms r elating to this research work which may look very irrelevant to some body from other discipline are defined underneath.
- Automation: The conversion of manual system to machine (Computer) based system
- Computer: It is a machine mainly an electronic device which accepts the data as an input, process the data and generate the result as an output.
- Credit Unit: This is the number of hour, practical or tutorial or allocated weeks in each semester.
- Head of Department: The “Head” as the name implies the controller of director even the person or body at the hem of affair in the
- Director of school: This is the person that co-ordination each
- Technologist: This is the technological craft man that can dissemble and re-assemble any technical device or machine.
- Course: every programme in each department based on arrangement in which course are evaluated in terms of credit A course consists of a certain number of hours of teachers, students contact devoted to study in a circumscribed area of the program. This include lecturers, tutorial; seminar/workshop period. Some related course which is closely to it may be considered too wide to be, are usually broken down into or more course, each one having it’s own designated number of credit hours.
DISCLAIMER: All project works, files and documents posted on this website, UniProjectTopics.com are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and some of the works may be crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a reference/citation/guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own study. UniProjectTopics.com is a repository of research works where works are uploaded for research guidance. Our aim of providing this work is to help you eradicate the stress of going from one school library to another in search of research materials. This is a legal service because all tertiary institutions permit their students to read previous works, projects, books, articles, journals or papers while developing their own works. This is where the need for literature review comes in. “What a good artist understands is that nothing comes from nowhere. All creative work builds on what came before. Nothing is completely original.” - Austin Kleon. The paid subscription on UniProjectTopics.com is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here by any means, and you want it to be removed/credited, please contact us with the web address link to the work. We will reply to and honour every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 – 48 hours to process your request.